Riyad Mahrez recounts how he faked illness and fled a trial on a bike and the abuse he experienced in Scotland


This season's Barclays Premier League Player of the Year, Riyad Mahrez has had it all rosy since the start of the season as his side chase three points to confirm their status as Premier League champions of this dramatic season. He has contributed massively to the team's success, with his 17 goals 11 assists. However, he has recounted some of the odd things he had to do to get to the summit where he is now.

While speaking in an interview with L'Equipe, he divulged how he once fled a trial with St Mirren due to the Scottish weather so harsh, it felt like it was "abuse".

He said: "An agent, Jean Evina, told me he had trial for me in the Scottish First Division with St Mirren reserves," Mahrez told L'Equipe. "He paid for my ticket and I went with another guy from Sarcelles [a suburb in Northern Paris], Dany Bekale.

"It went well. I played four friendlies and I scored seven goals. I killed them. And then they made me wait. Two-and-a-half months.

"I'd had enough. It drove me crazy, Scotland. It was cold. It was abuse. It was snowing and everything... I was so cold that one day I faked an injury to go to the locker room.

"It was physical and it was cold. We trained in the snow! I felt that I progressed; I wasn't allowed to go so I left in secret.

"Anyway... a few days later, my agent said... 'Riyad, I've sent you a ticket, you take the bus right away, get off at Glasgow Station and you get on the train to the airport, then you take the flight to Paris'.

"I did not speak English at all. I left my boots at the training ground. I borrowed a bike from a guy from the hotel, I took my football trainers, I made my bag and I left without telling anyone. Not even the lady at the hotel. I left via a staircase which avoided the reception."

Mahrez eventually signed for French club Le Havre after a spell with amateur side Quimper, before joining Leicester for £400,000 in 2014.

With Vardy set to serve the last of his ban on the sideline during the game against Manchester United at Old Trafford on Sunday, Mahrez will be expected to lead the firepower as he did against Swansea last time out - they won 4-0.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 10 Biggest Sex Scandals In Football History!