Gabriel Agbonlahor forced to step down as Villa captain following shisha backlash, says: 'I do not deserve to carry out such a role'


Nigerian born Gabriel Agbonlahor has been forced to resign from his role as Aston Villa captain, as the club's investigation into his recent behaviour comes to an end. The 29-year-old has been under suspension since April 19 after he was pictured partying on the night their relegation status to the Championship was confirmed.

On the evening, Villa had just lost to Manchester United 1:0. Some hours later, he was pictured inhaling laughing gas despite being put on a two-week fitness regime by caretaker manager Eric Black.
The club reacted to that incident by banning him from their Bodymoor Heath training ground and probing his behaviour. They deemed this appropriate especially as they had previously reprimanded him for allegedly inhaling shisha during a holiday in Dubai.


Agbonlahor (Black tee) with Crystal Palace's Fraizer Campbell (top left) party in Dubai
His decision to now resign as captain is seen as a sign of remorse and a means to apologise to fans. He put up a message on social media network Instagram saying:
'I want to begin with an apology to all Aston Villa fans for my actions in recent weeks, especially at a time when it is devastating for everyone involved with the club,' he wrote on his official Instagram account. 
'I am stepping down as club captain with immediate effect as I do not deserve to carry out such a role anymore. This role was a huge honour to me and it hurts to have lost it.
'I have spent 16 years at Aston Villa and played some memorable games. My celebrations and passion, especially in games against local rivals shows my loyalty to Aston Villa.  
'I am asking Aston Villa fans for forgiveness as I'm hurting as well despite reports and photos in the press making out otherwise.
'I agree my performances this season have not been good enough but I will be working hard to make things right! Up The Villa, Villa Till I Die!' 
The final punishment might see him get fined although he is as good as dusted as long as the season is concerned.
Okore the Dane
The forward who dumped Nigeria for England as an international is not the only first team player to have gone 'rogue' at the club this season. Villa have also now launched a formal investigation into defender Jores Okore, who has been training with the Under-21s after refusing to take a place on the bench.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 10 Biggest Sex Scandals In Football History!