As his tax evasion trial looms, Lionel Messi claims "I never look at the contracts I sign" I only know what Barcelona pay me


Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi has risen to claim ignorance over details of his contractual dealings. He has been accused, alongside father Jorge, of defrauding the Spanish tax authorities of well over €4.1million between 2007-2009 and the state are requesting that both father and son serve almost two years each in prison.



Despite public prosecutor Raquel Amado not prosecuting the footballer, but his father Jorge, the defence is pushing for both to be acquitted with the Ballon d'Or holder claiming he didn't read critical documents before signing them as his team prepare to face court over tax evasion.


Spanish newspaper El Periodico claim to have had access to the footballer's witness statement made before a judge. In it he claims he has no knowledge of the methods used to allegedly avoid paying tax on image rights.

The paper claims Messi said:
"I trust my dad, who is in charge of my things, and who tells me what I do." 
They claim he was repeatedly asked to speak louder during his testimony.
"I have signed things, but I never look at the contracts. I don't know what I sign."
"It's mine [the money]. At the end of the year I see the summary of what I have, of what I have done in the year. But I don't ask where the money comes from. I know what the club pays me, but nothing else, nothing else."
Messi will fly back from Argentina's training camp this week to testify in Spain before flying to San Francisco for the Copa America, where his side kick-off against Chile on June 6.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 10 Biggest Sex Scandals In Football History!