Tottenham confirm £11m signing of Victor Wanyama from Southampton on a five-year contract


Tottenham Football Club have announced the £11million signing of Kenyan midfielder Victor Wanyama from Southampton.

The 24-year-old, who almost joined Spurs last summer but was eventually forced to stay at St Mary's Stadium to link up with former manager Mauricio Pochettino, has signed a five-year contract at White Hart Lane.


Wanyama was signed from Celtic in July 2013 but had rejected offers for a new deal and would have been able to leave Southampton on a free transfer at the end of next season.

With Spurs participating in the Champions League next season, Pochettino has been eager to boost his options in midfield, this transfer comes as a big boost as they also have a go at another premier league title challenge.




The Kenyan international revealed this week he was looking forward to a 'new dawn' in his career at Tottenham after claiming he had passed a medical.
'I am indeed elated at passing my medicals at Tottenham. It is a new dawn in my career and I believe I will give my best for my new team,' Wanyama said in an interview with African football website Soka25east.
'I want to thank Southampton management and fans for the exceptional time we had together. I will always have a fond place for them in my heart.'
Wanyama made 92 appearances for Southampton, scoring four goals.

WANYAMA THANKS SOUTHAMPTON FANS ON OFFICIAL WEBSITE 
I write to you with a heavy heart to announce that I will be leaving Southampton Football Club. As you can imagine it is very emotional for me to say goodbye to the club that gave me the chance to be the first Kenyan to play in Premier League.

Firstly, I would like to thank the most important part of every club, the fans. I want to reassure you that any “quotes” you have read about in the media before my move was announced are false. I would never disrespect you by talking to the media before I have talked to you guys.It took a while for me to win you all over but I can truly say that with your support and affection I have grown as a player and a person.

You guys have always been there to lift us up when we were down, and to celebrate with us when we were playing well. I feel really proud that I got the opportunity to wear the Southampton shirt.
Secondly, football is a team sport and it wouldn’t be right not to thank my amazing teammates. Jose, thanks for leading the team and always being there to pick us up when we needed encouragement. Thanks to the rest of the team for always giving 100% effort, I will miss all of you.

I also want to thank every member of the Southampton staff: those who work behind the scenes and never get credit for their contribution to our success on the pitch. We are nothing without you.I will never forget my time in Southampton Football Club, I will keep club forever in my heart.
Yours in Sport,
Victor Wanyama


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 10 Biggest Sex Scandals In Football History!