Its a second Brexit for England! Roy Hodgson resigns as England manager following embarrassing loss to Iceland


​England manager Roy Hodgson has resigned from his position following his team's shock elimination from Euro 2016 in the round of 16 at the hands of tournament newcomers Iceland. The announcement was made within minutes of the final whistle in Nice.
Iceland won by 2:1. Ragnar Sigurdsson equalized within two minutes of Wayne Rooney's fourth minute penalty opener then grabbed their second in the 19th minute through Kolbeinn Sigthorsson. The Three Lions play afterwards wasn't inspiring either to turn over the result either.

Reading a written statement of his resignation at a press conference Hodgson said, "My contract was up after the Euros, so now is the time for someone else to oversee the progress of this young, hungry, and extremely talented group."
"They have been fantastic and have done everything that has been asked of them," he added.
”When I arrived, I was told that players didn't turn up to play for their country, or that they pull out at the last minute, but I have not seen any of that. These players love to play for their country and their commitment has been unquestionable."


Assistant coaches Ray Lewington and Gary Neville will also vacate their positions.
Ray and Gary have asked me to speak on their behalf," Hodgson explained. "They arrived with me as part of my coaching team and they will leave with me. I'd like to thank them for their dedicated support and the major part they've played in our preparation.

"Finally, I'd like to thank all the support staff, players, the FA, and of course, the fans. It's been a fantastic journey these four years and it's one I will remember with pride.
"I'm sorry it has had to end this way with an exit from a tournament, but all I can do is wish everyone the very best and hope that you will still be able to see an England team in the final of a major tournament fairly soon."

Hodgson took over from Fabio Capello shortly before Euro 2012 where England were knocked out by Italy at the quarter-final stage. The World Cup two years later ended in a disastrous group stage exit.

It was hoped that this competition would be different with the "quality" of players in the squad, but England struggled in the group and were subsequently embarrassed by Iceland. The memes on social media did not spare them, with lots highlighting the fact that they have now quit Europe twice in one week, perhaps a new record. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 10 Biggest Sex Scandals In Football History!