Former Chelsea Midfielder Frank Lampard continues to experience a woefully start in MLS


Frank Lampard's start to life on the pitch as a New York City player has definitely not gone according to plan. His delayed return to the club when he opted to extend his stay with Manchester City has not helped matters especially with the fans of the New York club.

Expectations from him had been fever high after he signed an agreement to start the season with the club. Unfortunately, he did not return until the end of the Barclays Premier League in May due to extended stay with MCFC, after which he suffered prolonged injury spells on the side lines.
Villa fires a cross into the 18-yard box
Till date, Lampard has made only three appearances for the New York club, the last of which was his one hour appearance against Columbus Crew football club where his side lost 2:1 on home soil on Saturday. This is despite boasting the likes of former Barcelona Striker David Villa and Juventus Legend Andrea Pirlo in their ranks. Andrew Jacobson's 29th minute response to Fedrico Higuain's opening was not enough to deny the visitors who ensured they went home with all three point after Justin Meram fired home the winner just 7 minutes from time.

Meram wheels away in celebration after regaining his side's lead
Reflecting on his performance after the game, he said 'It was agreed that I would only play an hour, I have been pushing to get back but it's been difficult. I need some base fitness and hopefully then I can contribute.We need wins but I am used to playing games to try and win the League. Everyone is still trying. There is a desire for everyone to be here. I have been working hard with the physios, doing sessions in the evening to try and get myself right. It's been badly timed , I have got upset when I have dwelled on it but I should be 100% fit by the next game against Dallas.
In hindsight, I tried to get fit too quickly. Results weren't great and I was desperate to make an impact. Injuries though can happen at any time.'

'It's not just about myself, David and Andrea. We need chemistry throughout the team. There are enough points for us to get into the play-off's. Pressure is nothing new to me.
'I don't regret coming here mid season. Manchester City wanted to me to stay and I enjoyed my time there. But I am determined to be a success here.'


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 10 Biggest Sex Scandals In Football History!